CHICKEN MEATBALLS WITH GINGER BROTH
400g minced chicken
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2cm root ginger, peeled and finely grated, plus 4 thin slices
1 tbsp soy sauce
4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
1.2 litres chicken stock
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 heads of bok choy, leaves separated and halved lengthways
juice of 1 lime
1. Mix together the minced chicken, garlic and grated ginger, soy sauce and half the spring onions.
2. Take dessert spoon amounts of the mixture, shape into balls and place on a plate. If you have time, cover the chicken balls with cling film and chill them in the fridge for half an hour before cooking. This makes them easier to handle.
3. Heat the oil in a wok or medium sized saucepan and cook the chicken balls in two batches, turning them over to make sure they are lightly browned all over. Transfer the chicken balls to a plate using a slotted spoon. There is no need to wash the pan at this point as the residue from cooking the chicken will add flavour to the dish.
4. Add the stock to the wok/saucepan pan and bring to a simmer. Add the browned chicken balls and ginger slices and cook for three minutes.
5. Add the bok choy, remaining spring onions and chilli (if using) and cook for another five minutes. The meatballs should be cooked through and the bok choy tender.
6. Add the lime juice a little at a time, tasting as you go. Season to taste. Serve with steamed rice or noodles.
The recipe serves 4. Enjoy! Credit to Simon Gault for the recipe.