HIGH FIBRE APPLE AND CRANBERRY MUFFINS
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
A good pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups bran flakes (wheat bran)
1/2 cup cranberries (raisins or chopped dates also work well)
1/4 cup golden or maple syrup
1/4 cup oil
2 medium-sized bananas, mashed (the riper the better)
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup plain yoghurt
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup stewed apple (or grated would work as well) or swap out for another fruit ie feijoa
1. Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees on bake. Line a muffin tin with paper cases or grease them well with butter/spray oil.
2. Sift flour and baking powder into a medium-sized bowl. Stir in the salt, cinnamon, bran and cranberries.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the golden syrup, oil, bananas, vanilla, egg, yoghurt and soda until smooth. Add the apple or whatever fruit you like.
4. Add the wet mixture to the dry and fold together with a wooden spoon until just combined. Don’t overmix or you will get little rocks instead of fluffy muffins.
5. Spoon tablespoons of the mixture into paper cases. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes until the tops are golden and they spring back when lightly pressed. Allow to cool on a rack.